Thursday, March 23, 2006

It's done, it's DONE!

So, I took my lovely shawlette to sit 'n knit on Tuesday determined to get back on it and finish it for Project Spectrum. I worked on it for a bit last night as well, washed it, blocked it and it was dry this am! YEAH! I LOVE IT!!!!!








It's my first 'lace' project and I love it. It was such a cool thing to see the pattern just 'show up' when I blocked it. It had been all wrinkled and balled up and then it opened up so beautifully when being blocked. I couldn't help but think of it as a very similar experience to a birth. The shawl, in it's pre-bath, pre-blocked state was all curled in on itself, very much like in a fetal position (I SCREAM nurse at times don't I?) then the pattern just opened up and was revealed or 'born' during the blocking process. I included the one picture of just a portion of the shawlette for a better representation of the true colors of the yarn.

BTW, this was my first project with Koigu and now I understand the obsession with it. It was a delight to work with from casting on, to ripping back (ack, the memory still hurts!), to knitting, blocking and wearing. All lovely phases of this project with Koigu. I will DEFINITELY be using Koigu again and again.

Back to the shawlette itself now. If you compare mine to the picture from the pattern you will notice that I blocked mine out much further than she called for. I did that on purpose. I blocked it to the specified dimensions but then I pulled it out a bit more and I liked the look of it better. It has a faroese shaping to it which I really like. The shoulders just seem to 'fit' right onto my shoulders, just perfectly! Ahh! ;-)

I can TOTALLY see how lace knitting would be so addictive. I can't wait to find a new lace project. What should it be? What should it be? Hummmmmmmmmm,

4 comments:

What Does It Matter Anyways? said...

What a great first effort, congratulations, it is indeed a beautiful shawl that you have created with your own two hands. I wish that I had talent and artistic abilities, and could create some nice things. Thank you for your inspiration! If this is your first effort, it looks like you are well on your way to some great things. Kudos!

Mary Ann said...

Lovely job. We usually spend some time in the Cleveland area every summer to visit my husband's family. Being from Texas, I find the evenings a little cool. Such a shawl would be perfect. I'm going to check it out.

Erin said...

Great job on the shawl! I love working with Koigu as well. Was that KPPPM that you worked with?

amylovie said...

It turned out beautiful Jannett. That color looks fantastic on you.

Amy