Thursday, September 01, 2005

On a serious note.

My DH and I spent 3 1/2 wonderful years in The Big Easy while he attended Tulane. It is so difficult and painful to see all the footage of that wonderful city all GONE! I have been heart sick for days now. The immensity of this tragedy transcends all levels and I am heartbroken. We've always wanted to take DS back to see that grand lady of a city but she is gone. I hope that that spirit of what made her so wonderful will return when she is rebuilt but I fear that the "taste" of New Orleans will never fully be returned. So much of what she was had to do with the history, heritage and beauty of her old buildings and sites. The people there are so fabulous, loving and kind. It is horrible for me to see what they have had to endure from nature, the small amount of criminals that tarnish the overall goodness of the southern folk and the limitations of man to rescue/assist those in need quicker than is possible. I hurt and I cry every night while watching the news in the comfort of my soft bed, under the roof of my home, with ALL of my family and a full belly. What can I do??? I can do quite a LOT. Please, Please, Please consider going to Give a Little and donating WHATEVER you can. Drink less coffees, pops or bottled waters. Buy less snacks or treats. It isn't a huge sacrifice considering.

Understand that 30-40% of the Greater New Orleans population lived at or below the poverty level and 112,000 households owned no means of transportation. These people where STUCK! And that is just in New Orleans! To that we must add all the victims in Mississippi and Alabama.

Imagine no housing, no food, no water, no electricity, no phone, and for some, no word of other family members. Is it really too much to ask?

No comments: