Monday, January 01, 2007

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I hope that everyone's New Year's Eve celebrations were all they hoped they would be. As for us, we chose a quiet evening at home, just the 3 of us. That seemed to be the theme for us this year for the holidays, what with the move and all. However, it was a FABULOUS holiday season. We have never had the holidays to ourselves as a family and I think that it was a nice change of pace. Being able to just sit back, relax and enjoy without all the hustle and bustle of traveling, getting "dressed up" (although I do loves me some dressing up) and visiting here and there. It was great to lounge in our pjs all Xmas day (Yep, ALL DAY until about 2:00 in the afternoon), hang out and shop on my birthday (shop for DS - xmas money HAD to be spent) and just relax, play games make home-made pizzas (Yummy) and watch TV for New Year's Eve. Aaah. Today we have a day of watching parades and cleaning out the garage (YUCK) planned. Oh well, I guess we need to come back to reality.

Lest you all think that I no longer knit, here is some proof:

THAT would be a completed back and the beginning of the front of Arwen



Here are close-ups of the color variations from the back (isn't that just beautiful?) and of the cabling (sp?). LOVE IT!

Let me tell you all something about that cabling. . . . I've never worked off a chart before. Every thing I have ever knit I have had written out pattern repeats. So, I would just read the stitches and do them. Here, no writton out pattern repeats, just a chart. I ripped that piece out 3 times before I finally understood how to read and complete the chart. Yeah for me! Something new learned. Woo hoo!

I guess that this is a small accomplishment I know, but, now I don't have to be afraid of all those beautiful lace patterns that are solely based off a chart. Yeah!

Oh boy, that opens up a whole new world now. . . . . YIKES!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oooo! Your progress on Arwen is lovely! Can't wait to see the progress on this knit!

Cathi said...

Happy New Year! Love the cardi!

Anonymous said...

Arwen's coming along nicely.Can't wait to see the finished product. I too have a chart phobia. I'm totaly intimidated by a pattern that consist totally of charts.Happy New Year!

amylovie said...

I love that pattern. We had the original Arwen in the shop during the Interweave trunk show. It will look gorgeous on you.

Happy New Year!

Amy

Suzie said...

Nice job on Arwen! And Happy Belated Birthday!!

Sourire11 said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!!

Glad to hear you had a nice holiday season...

Your Arwen is beautiful!!! and seriously, go you with the charts!

Jennifer said...

yay for the arwen - looks gorgeous!! and woohoo on clicking w/ the charts...i haven't tried it yet, but am excited to eventually try!