Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Now, I'm trilingual (well sort of)

So, if you read my prior post you will have learned that I finally "clicked" with charts (at least cable charts). I kept working at it yesterday and got a good 3-4 inches done on the front (good for me). Midway through that process I totally "got" the language of charts. I realized that the symbols for the cabling actually can be "read" . . . . . e.g. dark shading = purl stitches, white shading = knit stitches and the direction of the "X" on the symbol lets you know whether or not you hold the stitches to the front or the back. It was like, no pun intended here, an epiphany and I no longer had to keep referring to the key from then on out.

Very, very cool. Now, I think that I will take a look at some lace charts and decide if they are just a different dialect of the same language or a completely different language all together.

However, that will have to wait until Arwen is done.

I hope to finish by spring. I really want to be able to wear it this year. Keep your fingers crossed for me, kay?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had the same realization when I was cabling today! It's a great feeling. :-D

amylovie said...

You can do it! Congrats on your new language skills.

Amy

Anonymous said...

Dear Nurse,
Thank you for your note on Whoopsie. I was in Nursing school for a while, and that bunch of people (fellow students) were the most fabulous people I have ever been with - better than Unitarians, better than handweavers, better than my family. They were so supportive and helpful and accepting and generous! So it doesn't surprise me that the writer of that comment is a nurse also. Thanx again.

Ellen

ps. look up illicit and elicit.

Anonymous said...

I still totally struggle with charts.