KnittingNurse

Just a place where I can sit and write my thoughts on my newest passion. . . . . knitting. Hopefully, I will better document my progress throughout knitting and get in touch with others as obsessed as I am!

Monday, September 04, 2006

Such a sad, sad day.

First, my alma mater just lost the first game of the year to the 'noles. DAMN!

Sad thing is that I don't feel as BAD when they play well but end up losing. But, this game? Well, let's just say they didn't bring their "C" game let alone their "A" game. OUCH!

Sigh, DS and I are driving down to visit hubby in NC and watch them play against Duke. Geez, I hope they play better than they did tonight.

THEN, I got online and read the following post from Jennifer


non-knitting post - Very Important!
By Jennifer

Alert- product toxic to pets
I just read this from A Day In The Life Of Our Pugs and thought I should pass it along as well:

Cocoa Mulch lethal to dogs?

Verified by Snopes

VERIFIED ALSO BY GOOGLE

Yesterday one of our dog agility friends experienced a tragedy and wanted me to pass a special message along to all of my dog-loving friends and family. Please tell every dog owner you know.

Over the weekend the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target(can be found at home depot) to use in their garden. They loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog Calypso, decided that the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn't acting
lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.

Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company's website, this product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs.

Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey's, and they claim that "It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer
physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won't eat it."

True information about the mulch can be found here - http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/cocoa.htm

This site gives the following information:

Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot, Foreman's Garden Supply and other Garden supply stores, contains a lethal ingredient called "Theobromine".

It is lethal to dogs and cats. It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks. Just a word of caution, check what you are using in your gardens
and be aware of what your gardeners are using in your gardens.

Theobromine is the ingredient that is used to make all chocolate especially dark or baker's chocolate which is toxic to dogs.

Cocoa bean shells contain potentially toxic quantities of theobromine, a xanthine compound similar in effects to caffeine and theophylline. A dog that ingested a lethal quantity of garden mulch made from cacao bean shells developed severe
convulsions and died 17 hours later. Analysis of the stomach contents and the ingested cacao bean shells revealed the presence of lethal amounts of
theobromine.

Please email the manufacturer at michellemessick@hersheys.comand request that
accurate information about this product be posted on the packaging to avoid further tragedy.

PLEASE GIVE THIS WIDEST DISTRIBUTION !!

YIKES, I would DIE if I did something that lead to my sweetie pie getting ill or worse dying.

Be careful out there.

1 Comments:

At 5:59 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

thanks for reposting...i feel so bad for these people and their dog :(

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home