Monday, July 30, 2007

CRAP!

As IF I needed another sock yarn to fall for. . . .along comes this beauty. Now, when it comes to kettle-dyed worsted, I am all about my malabrigo or manos. They are amazingly soft and FABULOUS with their colorways. Rio de la Plata hadn't really impressed me with the texture of their worsted or their colorways. So, I had never really thought of purchasing them for any worsted projects. Now, today I am at the LYS (don't even think it, I can't believe that I had ANY reason to be there - but I did so there!) looking for sock yarn to make my pal her Ravenclaw socks (blue and silver or bronze seem to not be in my color repertoire) and I came across THIS:


I thought to myself "Self, THAT is the perfect blue for Ravenclaw socks!" So, I grabbed it and upon closer inspection of the tag, I noted that it was from Rio de la Plata.

"Huh?" I thought to myself. It MUST be scratchy & blotchy. I felt it. It was soft. I looked the color over. It's a "semi-solid" but doesn't have any glaring areas of stark white anywhere to be found. I was intrigued. Then the shop owner noticed what I had in my hand and said "I just got that in. I'm knitting these out of one of the multi-colors." Then she proceeds to show me a pair of embossed leaves socks she is working on in a great moss, palish orange, mint and cream colorway. PERFECT for embossed leaves!

I asked if I could feel the sock. She agreed and I felt it. It was soft. It was sturdy. It was. . . . .GOOD! So, I now have the blue sock yarn and I think I know what pattern I am going to make but I need to find a corresponding silver or bronze sock yarn. Sigh. I wanted to stay away from that and really wanted to try to do a variegated or self patterning colorway since she got a pair with stripes and alternate heels in the Hogwarts Sock Swap #1
but I couldn't resist this yarn. I think there might yet be ANOTHER sock yarn for me to obsess over. God help me (uh, help us all - wait until you see this stuff you guys).

So, the question that now stands before me and therefore YOU, how should I do these so that they aren't the same as her first pair? Here are my thoughts. . . .

#1) Use bronze instead of silver (book colors vs. movie colors)

#2) Attempt (notice I say attempt) to do a lace sock. sigh. I should write her now and tell her that I am going to be late already if I take this option.

#3) I don't know of any other options. . . . .


So, HELP?????!!!!!?????

4 comments:

Doris Vablatsky said...

Hi! Very pretty yarn...very shiny!

The Headmistress is suppose to be putting together a slideshow of HSS1 socks that might give you some ideas.

I like the bronze idea since she got sliver the first go around.

As far as pattern, hmmmmm, evenly striped? Or Dobby type socks (one is body blue/heel bronze and the other is body bronze/heel blue?

Terri said...

It looks gorgeous yarn!!!We don't get any of those suppliers in the UK:-(
My pal for this round is ravenclaw too, I don't think shes had her socks from the first round yet though, so I can't decide on a suitable pattern........*roll*

Sandy said...

What about some wonderful cable socks with just a couple of stripes of silver or gold on the top edge? That yarn would be beautiful in cables!

Sourire11 said...

Hmm... I don't know much about the book/movie colors or really any of that (I'm just now starting book 6) but I second the cable idea. Something simple with texture would look amazing with that yarn (which btw. you suck for introducing me to :-). I'm totally going to to try to find it online once I finish writing this). Do you have to do both colors? Evenly spaced stripes could be nice, too...